Monday, July 29, 2019

It Started With a Quote


I love quotes. Each nugget of wisdom allows me to either agree or disagree with what was said. Sometimes the quote marinates in my brain for a while until the verbal meal tastes just right – or incredibly wrong (we’ve all tried recipes that we either loved or despised – same idea).

The quote I landed on was by A.W. Tozer. “An infinite God can give all of Himself to each of His children. He does not distribute Himself that each may have a part, but to each one He gives all of Himself as fully as if there were no others.”


When I was young I was told that Jesus loved me so much that even if I were the only person on earth Jesus would still have died for my sin. Maybe you heard that too. If you follow the logic this means that God loves each of us enough that He would have made the ultimate sacrifice to make it possible for each of us to have a relationship with Him.

As a parent I’ve never been able to tell my children I love them the same. Maybe I look at the situation incorrectly, but it seems to me that because each child is uniquely created by God then I can’t express my love for my children the exact same way.

For instance love is often expressed in the ways we spend time with those we love. If I treated my son the way I treat my daughter then my son would be disappointed. Why? Because one of the ways I can express love for my daughter is by spending time with her – shopping. I wasn’t born with a shopping gene, but because it is what she enjoys it can be a perfect way to demonstrate love.

My son loves to play video games, discuss books, and visit the zoo. My daughter doesn’t understand how I could possibly enjoy listening to her brother talk about Middle Earth or about something he saw at the zoo. The way I show love to my son has to be different than the way I show love to my daughter.

What is a consequence for my son would not work as a consequence for my daughter. They rarely like the same movie, the same food, or the same technology. They are different people with different personalities and as a dad I have to learn how to connect with who they are, but they may have to take turns.

Now, back to the quote, “An infinite God can give all of Himself to each of His children. He does not distribute Himself that each may have a part, but to each one He gives all of Himself as fully as if there were no others.”

God doesn’t exist with the same limitations I have. He can love each of His children completely, and simultaneously. Unlike human parents He is not run ragged trying to keep up with each of His children. He is all-wise, all-knowing, and all-sufficient. We never have to worry if we are at the bottom of His list waiting for Him get to us when He can find the time. He is always there and always offering the same grace, mercy and love.

God knew us before we were born and He absolutely loves each and every one of His children. No short end of the stick, no limited time offer, and no checking a watch.

Because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.” Ephesians 2:4-5

God’s love exists with no limits and is personally suited to your every need.

No comments:

Post a Comment