Monday, October 28, 2019

Defining Your Faith Legacy


Note: A couple of items that are linked together. The poem was written more than a decade ago. The article? In recent years. - Glenn

I talked to my dad recently. It was a time of remembering. The double car garage built in 1975 for around $3,000. Times when we painted houses together. Times when we organized family stuff. The time when an wayward pig nearly caused me to roll my first pickup.

This phone call conversation was intended to wish my dad a happy birthday, but it became more. It had been five years since a major surgery. Fifty-four years since he and mom said their “I do's” (she went on ahead a few years back). He'd just celebrated 35 years with the county transportation department. The conversation obviously centered around the passing of years.

When I was growing up, my dad would be the first one out of bed. He would read his Bible and pray from 4-6 am. I didn't think this unusual. Didn't all dads do that?
It was my grandma's example that my dad followed. By Dad's own admission he only got up early because that's what his mom did. At some point the example became a habit, and the habit became a lifestyle, and the lifestyle become a new example.


Dad told me that there had been a lady who visited with his mom when he was young. His mother had not grown up in a Christian home. This is why the unknown lady was so important to our family story. At some point my grandmother believed and was saved.

In her imperfect way my grandmother shared the faith that was being nurtured within. My dad accepted Jesus and his journey with Jesus started earlier than his mom's.

My faith journey started earlier than his, but God used Dad's faith to influence my interest. The faith of my father was nurtured by his mother. Her faith was the result of a stranger's introduction to Jesus.

Today my own children are the recipients of an imperfect legacy that faithfully relies on the power of a good God. My dad told me he hopes the legacy goes on, “Forever.”

We each have generational curses and blessings that we pass on. Sometimes we inadvertently pass along baggage to our children they were never meant to carry. Sometimes they continue to carry that baggage to their grave. Sometimes we have blessings we can share, but refuse to do so. We may want our children to earn the blessing, hope for the blessing, and understand we believe we control the blessing.

We withhold what we could easily give and give what we should intentionally withhold.

Like anyone else I can look honestly at my dad and wish he were more of this or less of that, but he did provide blessings when he could. He withheld pain whenever he could. Some issues he just didn't know how to handle.

I'm not perfect so I can't expect him to be either. What remains is for me to take the best of my father's legacy and pass it on, break away from behaviors that weren't always helpful, and rely on God to fill in all the gaps, before, between, and beyond.

It was a great conversation with Dad. I like to have them often.

God is the author and finisher of each of our stories. Maybe it's time for you to let Him take control of the pen and help define your legacy not by where you came from, but because of who He's making you to be.


The Faith Legacy
Glenn Hascall

She was up before dawn
Reading candlelit page
Oft times she was cold
As a prayer battle raged

Her youngest boy, Gene
Observed his dear mother
Rising alone in the dark
For one reason and no other.

A spiritual-war-ravaged Bible
Lay spread on the table
Hiding God’s Word in her heart
As long as she was able

She never once asked
For her boy to adhere
To her morning ritual
No punishment - no fear

But the boy is now 70
And each day before dawn
He is filling his mind
As he has for so long

Treating God’s Word as precious
In the quiet of the day
Meeting God in prayer
With so much to say

Like grandma in times past
And like Dad just this morn
I too search God’s Word
Since the day I was re-born

I’m a recipient it seems
Of a wondrous faith legacy
And I’ll be a willing example
So, hopefully, my children see

And perhaps someday they’ll say

He was up before dawn
A lamp lit the page
Sometimes he was weary
As a prayer battle raged

He treated God’s Word as precious
In the quiet of the day
Meeting God in prayer
His life had so much to say.




No comments:

Post a Comment